Lo sentimos. Aún no hemos traducido esta página al español. Avísenos si desea que esto sea una prioridad y traduciremos la página lo antes posible.

We're sorry. We have not yet translated this page into Spanish. Please let us know if you want us to make it a priority and we will work to translate it as soon as possible.

Solicitar traducción Request translation

Gracias, su solicitud ha sido presentada. Thank you, your request has been submitted.

Paying back your benefit overpayment

What if I do not repay my overpayment?

We may file a lien in Superior Court against your real or personal property to secure the debt if your account becomes past due.  This could result in a garnishment of your wages or bank account.  We may deduct from your federal income tax-refund or lottery winnings. Filing for bankruptcy may not remove your responsibility to repay the debt.

What if I can’t afford the minimum monthly payment?

You will need to make payment arrangements by calling the Employment Security Collections Unit at: 

  • Toll-free: 866-697-4831
  • Persons with hearing or speaking impairments can call Washington Relay Service 711

How do I make a payment?

You can mail a check or money order payable to “Employment Security Department.” Include your name and customer identification number or Social Security number on your payment to ensure we credit your account properly.  We don’t accept payments at our local offices.

Mail your payment to:

WA BEN Overpayment
P.O. Box 35115
Seattle, WA 98124-5115

You can also make a payment online with your bank account and routing number.


Other contact options for the Employment Security Collections Unit:

Fax: 1-866-610-9235 | Email: bpcunit@esd.wa.gov