Receive your unemployment benefits by debit card
Receiving your unemployment payments by debit card gives you all the benefits of a paper check – and more! The card is issued by KeyBank and backed by Mastercard. Just like a check, you can cash it out at no charge at over 1,500 KeyBank ATMs, 55,000 ATMs in the worldwide Allpoint network and at participating MasterCard member bank branches.
You can use the debit card to make purchases, pay bills or transfer funds to your personal bank account. You’ll also have free access to online banking to view transactions and you can sign up for alerts when your benefits have been loaded.
Advantages of receiving benefit payments on a debit card
- Safety: Debit cards are safer than paper checks. If a debit card is lost, damaged or stolen you can contact KeyBank customer service at 1-866-295-2955. KeyBank immediately disables the stolen card and mails a replacement card to you at no charge.
- Paid sooner and faster: You do not have to wait for a check to be delivered each week and you don’t need to stand in line at a bank branch to deposit or cash your check. If you file your weekly claim on a regular schedule, your weekly benefit will be loaded onto your debit card on a regular, predictable timeframe.
- No check cashing fees: You can withdraw cash at no charge from your debit card at over 1,500 KeyBank branch ATMs across the country or at 55,000 ATMs in the worldwide Allpoint network (at retailers such as Safeway, Target, Costco, Walgreens and gas station minimarts and convenience stores). You can also cash the entire card out at KeyBank or any bank that accepts MasterCard.
- Account management: Cardholders have access to online banking to view transactions, pay bills or transfer funds to personal accounts.
- Alerts and notifications: Cardholders can also sign up for a suite of alerts to receive text or email notifications for account activity including any time the card receives a deposit, or is used to make a purchase.
How to sign up for a debit card
- You can sign up for a debit card at the time you apply for unemployment benefits or after you’ve applied.
- To sign up online, sign into eServices. Click Settings in the upper right. Then choose Update payment information under I want to and follow the instructions.
- You can also call the ESD claims center at 800-318-6022 and speak to a claims agent.