Rulemaking for topics covered by Emergency Rules
In February 2020, Governor Inslee proclaimed a state of emergency in Washington state regarding COVID-19. Following that, the Employment Security filed a series of emergency rules, in order to support the state’s response.
Phase 1 Emergency Rules topics:
- Registration for work.
- Certification of satisfactory progress for training programs.
- Penalty waivers.
- Updates to certain definitions.
- WorkSource closures.
- Shared work.
- Lack of work.
- Standby status.
- Suspected fraudulent claims.
Phase 3 Emergency Rules topics:
- Submissions of petitions for judicial review.
- Backdating reopened claims.
- Combined wage claims.
Phase 4 Emergency Rules topics:
- Waiting week waivers.
- Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC) and Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) waivers.
Closed Rulemaking for topics covered by Emergency Rules
Phase 2 Emergency Rules topics:
- Waiting week charging.
- Benefit charging.
- Suitable work for extended benefits.
- Overpayment waivers
The Department is not converting Phase 2 emergency rules to permanent rules. The topics covered in Phase 2 have either been addressed by the Legislature in SB 5061 (2021) or were changed in subsequent phases.