Importing wage files
Specifications for the most common wage data file formats:
When your data is in an Excel spreadsheet, use the import data option in Employer Account Management Services (EAMS) or UIWebTax.
Setting up your file in Excel:
- Set your spreadsheet up in four columns only, with Social Security number, name, hours, wages. See example below.
- Delete any extra columns, headers, footers, totals, etc.
- Extend wages column out to two decimal places.
- Round hours up to the next whole number.
|555-03-3333||Wilson, Robert Jr.||540||12450.25|
When using EAMS or UIWebTax
Open the Excel file and save the file as a CSV (MS-DOS) (*.csv) type. At the Wage Options page, choose Import file and click next. On the Import File page, browse to your file, click the Next button.
Text file with fields separated by specified characters, the most common being a tab or comma.
Columns or fields may be in any order:
- ES Reference Number - nine digits(123456786). Optional field
- SSN - nine digits (000000000) or (000-00-0000, 3 digits Hyphen 2 digits Hyphen 4 digits). Required field.
- Name - last name, first name or first name, last name. Required field.
- Quarterly hours - maximum four digits (540). Required field. Enter zero if none to report. Whole numbers - decimals will be rouinded up to the next whole number.
- Quarterly gross wages - maximum nine digits ($1,234.56). Required field.
Decimal and cents are required. Dollar sign and commas are optional
Social Security Number <Tab> Name <Tab> Hours <Tab> Gross Wages
555-01-1111 Smith, John A. Sr. 540 $12,450.25
555-02-2222 Jones, Sam 560 $13,692.01
555-03-3333 Wilson, Robert Jr. 520.25 $10,645.34
ES Reference number,social security number,name,hours,gross wages
123456786,555-01-1111,Smith John A. Sr.,540,12450.25
123456786,555-03-3333,Wilson Robert Jr.,520,10645.34
Example showing "text qualifiers" to ignore comma’s within fields
"123456786","555-01-1111","Smith, John A. Sr.","540","$12,450.25"
"123456786","555-03-3333","Wilson, Robert Jr.","520","$10,645.34"
An ASCII text-file that conforms to the following defined format.
Please Note: This format will soon be phased out because it does not provide adequate name data as require by the U.S. Department of Labor.
05312345699555022222Jones Sam 000013692010561
An ASCII text-file that has been formatted following standard specifications established by NASWA - National Association of State Workforce Agencies (formerly ICESA, Interstate Conference of Employment Security Agencies) and customized to meet reporting requirements specific to the state of Washington.
Our e-file applications (File UI Quarterly Reports in EAMS and UIWebTax) will import files formatted for bulk filing, however a separate report must be submitted for each business contained in the file.
Bulk filing specifications, dated April 2012