What we ask when you apply for unemployment online
You need to provide us with certain information whether you apply for unemployment benefits online or by phone.
You will need:
- Your Social Security number. Federal law requires you provide this to receive benefits.
- The name and address of your very last employer, regardless of how long you worked there or what type of work you did.
- The date you last worked for your very last employer. Our system will not accept a future date. If you are still working, you can use the date you apply.
- The names and addresses of all your other employers during the last two years. You must list all of your employers for the last two years. On the online application, there is room to list up to 16 employers. If you worked for more than 16 employers in the last 2 years, you must file your claim by calling the claims center.
- The dates you worked for all employers. Use your best estimate if you do not remember the exact dates. You must report this information to us because your employer does not. They only report your wages and hours to us.
- If you normally get your work through a union, the name and local number of your union.
- If you were in the military during the last two years, your DD214, any member copy, 2 through 8.
- If you were a federal employee in the last two years, your Standard Form 8 (SF8)--Notice To Federal Employees About Unemployment Insurance, and Standard Form 50 (SF50)--Notice of Personnel Action is not required but will speed up the processing of your claim.
- If not an U.S. citizen, your alien registration number issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
Do not wait to apply, even if you do not have all the information. Your claim is effective Sunday of the week you first apply.
We will ask you several questions when you apply. The process is different depending on whether you apply online or by phone. You may wish to review the sample application or phone questions to prepare and gather information to help you complete the process.