Federal programs ended

The CARES Act and other federal programs that expanded and extended unemployment benefits expired the week ending Sept. 4, 2021. Visit the COVID-19 page to learn more

Military discharge

If you were discharged from active military duty within the past 18 months, you may be eligible for unemployment benefits in Washington state if you:

  • Are physically in the state of Washington, and your terminal leave is over when you apply for benefits;
  • Completed your first, full term of active duty, or you were discharged for disability, hardship, reduction in force, etc.;
  • Received an honorable, entry-level, uncharacterized or general discharge;
  • Received a release or "discharge from active duty" form DD-214, member copy 2 through 8; and
  • Are fully discharged from active duty, including leave time. (This information is in box 12b of the form DD-214.)

In addition to these requirements, National Guard members and reservists must have served at least 180 days of continuous active duty during their base year.

Get help finding a job

Military veterans have priority access to free employment services at WorkSource centers throughout Washington state.