Benefits debit card frequently asked questions
Review the official FAQ from U.S. Bank for questions about the U.S. Bank ReliaCard® prepaid Visa® debit card.
Find additional answers for questions you may have about using a debit card as the payment method for your unemployment benefits.
Jump to a category: General Questions | Customer support | Receiving your card | Getting cash | Replacing cards | Privacy
Q: How long does my ReliaCard remain valid? How long should I keep my card?
Your U.S. Bank ReliaCard remains valid for three years (36 months). You should plan to keep your ReliaCard until the expiration date of the card has passed – don’t throw it away!
Q: If I file another unemployment claim in a year or two, will I still use the same card or will I get a new debit card each time I file a claim?
You will not receive a new card unless yours has expired or was never activated. Your card is valid for three years (36 months), so you should keep your card in case you open another unemployment claim within that three-year window.
Q: Who should I contact if I have questions about my card?
For questions about your deposit, such as when you will receive the next deposit to the card or the amount of a deposit to the card, check your eServices account or call the ESD Claims Center at 800-318-6022 (Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. except holidays).
For all other questions about your card, you may log into your account at usbankreliacard.com or contact U.S. Bank’s Cardholder Services 24 hours a day, toll-free at 855-282-6161.
Q: What services does U.S. Bank’s ReliaCard 24-hour Cardholder Services line provide?
The following can be done through U.S. Bank’s cardholderservices:
- Choose or change your Personal Identification Number (PIN)
- Balance inquiry
- Card activation
- Enroll in text alerts
- For text messages, standard messaging charges apply through your mobile carrier and message frequency depends on account settings.
- Review recent transaction history
- Report card lost or stolen and have it reissued
- Speak to a live representative if additional assistance is needed
Q: What should I do if I change addresses?
Report your change of address to both ESD and U.S. Bank. Contact:
- U.S. Bank’s Cardholder Services at 855-282-6161 or visit usbankreliacard.com.
- ESD’s Claim Center at 800-318-6022 (Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. except holidays) or go online to your eServices account to update your address.
Receiving your card
Q: What should I do if I haven’t received my card?
If you have not received your card within 10 business days after applying for unemployment benefits or updating your payment preference to debit card, you should do the following:
- Call the ESD Claims Center at 800-318-6022 (Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. except holidays) to make sure we have your correct address on file.
- If the address on file is correct, then you should immediately contact U.S. Bank’s Cardholder Services at 855-282-6161 to let them know you need to request a replacement card.
Q: What will the envelope containing my card look like?
Your card will come in a white, double-window envelope with WA Employment Security Dept in the upper left-hand corner and a return address from Indianapolis, IN.
Q: What information or instructions come with the card?
The card comes with:
- Instructions on how to activate the card.
- The cardholder agreement, which discloses the terms and conditions.
- A usage guide detailing where and how the card can be used.
- The U.S. Bank Privacy Pledge.
- Fee Schedule, disclosing any fees associated with the card
Q: What happens to my debit card if it is mailed to the wrong address, or if I moved and left a forwarding address?
The card will be returned to U.S. Bank. If you moved and left a forwarding address, it will not be forwarded to you.
You must update your address so the card will reach you. To do that, you must contact:
- ESD at 800-318-6022 (Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. except holidays) or go online to your eServices account to update your address.
- U.S. Bank through Cardholder Services at 855-282-6161 or online at usbankreliacard.com.
It may take up to 3 business days for this information to update. You can then contact the U.S. Bank’s Cardholder Services at 855-282-6161 to request a new card be mailed to you. A replacement card will be issued to you and should arrive within 10 business days.
Q: What should I do if my name is spelled wrong on my debit card?
Call the ESD claims center at 800-318-6022 to update the spelling of your name. You can continue to use your current ReliaCard until you get the new ReliaCard with the corrected name in the mail. When you get your new card and activate it, the old card will then automatically be disabled and any funds will be rolled over to the new card and future loads will be made to the new card.
Q: Why didn’t my card have money loaded on it when I received it? What should I do?
Money will not be loaded onto the card until you file a weekly claim or, if ESD identified an issue with your claim, until the issue is resolved.
- Follow the instructions that came with your card to activate it when you receive it.
- Do not to throw the card away. Money will be loaded onto the card if you are determined to be eligible for benefits.
- Call the ESD Claims Center at 800-318-6022 (Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. except holidays) for assistance in getting any claims issues resolved.
Q: Where can I withdraw cash using my debit card without ATM fees?
You can use your card to withdraw cash without charge at the following locations:
- U.S. Bank ATMs.
- MoneyPass® ATM Networks.
- Participating Visa member bank branches.
- Participating retailers who allow cash back with debit purchases.
Funds are automatically deducted from your card balance when you withdraw cash.
Q: Is there a daily cash withdrawal limit from the debit card?
Yes. You can view the daily limits online by logging into your ReliaCard account at usbankreliacard.com.
Q: Am I charged for a new card if I lose mine?
No, there is no fee for a standard card replacement with delivery in up to 10 business days. Expedited 3-day delivery carries a $10.00 cost (see the Fee Schedule for details).
You are generally protected from all liability for unauthorized transactions with Zero Liability. You must call the number on the back of your card immediately to report any unauthorized use. Certain conditions and limitations may apply. See your Cardholder Agreement for details.
Q: Can I go into a U.S. Bank branch to order a replacement card or get a temporary card?
No, you need to contact the U.S. Bank’s Cardholder Services at 855-282-6161. U.S. Bank branches do not have the ability to replace cards or offer temporary ones.
Q: Can collection agencies garnish wages from my U.S. Bank ReliaCard?
Other entities may not garnish your debit card once the payment is loaded.
The ReliaCard is issued by U.S. Bank National Association pursuant to a license from Visa U.S.A. Inc. ©2022 U.S. Bank. Member FDIC