Information needed from the employer
If your worker was discharged, we may ask you the following questions:
About the incident
- What was the specific final incident that caused you to discharge the employee on that day?
- What date did the final incident occur?
- What was the date of the discharge?
About the policy
- Is there an employer policy concerning the incident?
- Was the employee aware of the policy?
- Is the policy in the employee handbook or posted for employees to see?
- Did the employee sign the policy/handbook? If so, when?
- Can we have a copy of it?
About prior related incidents
- What were the dates of any prior related incidents?
- Had the employee received warnings concerning similar situations? If so, what were the dates of the warnings and were they verbal or written? Can we have copies of the written warnings?
- Was the employee aware of the consequences of his or her actions?
- Do you have any evidence or witness statements regarding the incident? Can we have copies of the documents?
- Did the worker’s actions harm or have the potential to harm your business? If so, how?
- Do you believe the worker acted intentionally or negligently? If so, how?
If your worker quit, we may ask you the following questions:
- What reason did the employee give for quitting the job?
- What date did the employee give notice, if any?
- If the employee gave notice for a certain date, and you let the employee go before that date, did you pay him or her through the notice period?
- What was the final day of work?
- What efforts did the employee make to preserve his or her job before quitting?
- What options would have been available to the employee other than quitting, such as a leave of absence or transfer?
- Did the employee inform you of the problem before quitting?
- Did you have an opportunity to try to resolve the problem before the employee quit?
Request for separation information | How we decide on worker benefits | Temporary layoffs and standby rules | Appeal an unemployment tax decision | Employer FAQs - benefit claims process | Employer FAQs - general | Contact information for employers