The following changes, effective July 1, 2021, are required by the U.S. Department of Labor through its Training and Employment Guidance Letter (TEGL) 16-20:
- Appeals must be submitted within one year of original denial date.
- Any errors on an application must be corrected within 28 days of hire date.
- ESD is waiting for additional guidance for Power of Attorney (POA) issues – we will update this alert once more information is available.
Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC)
The WOTC is a tax incentive for employers to hire certain hard-to-place job seekers. The goal is to help these individuals become economically self-sufficient and to reward employers who give them a chance.
Employers can reduce their federal business taxes by anywhere from $2,400 to $9,600 per eligible employee. The amount employers get is based on:
- The employee's target group
- Wages earned and hours worked by the employee
Employers cannot claim the WOTC for:
- Former employees
- Undocumented aliens
Work Opportunity Tax Credit fact sheet - for a program overview and recent statistics
U.S. Department of Labor website – for updates and more information
All applications must be submitted within 28 days of the employee's start date.
For more information: email ESDGPWOTC@esd.wa.gov or call 800-669-9271